The first IEEE Brain Initiative Workshop was held at the Faculty House at Columbia University on December 14th, 2015. The Workshop was intended to kick-off discussion on the definition, scope, and potential structure of the IEEE Brain effort. Steve Diamond, Vice Chair of the IEEE Future Directions Committee gave opening remarks and welcomed the attendees on the importance of IEEE’s role in nurturing the development of technologies and brain research. Paul Sajda (Chair) and Jose Carmena (Vice Chair) facilitated the discussion throughout the day.
The day was a blend of keynote presentations from Rafael Yuste (Columbia University) and Jan Rabaey (UC Berkeley) stimulating technical exchanges, and informative presentations from eleven (11) IEEE Organizational Units discussing their efforts on brain research. The workshop ended with a lively brain storming session where the attendees identified topic areas that should be addressed, communities and constituencies that should be engaged, and ways to collaborate within and outside of IEEE.
- The Novel Neurotechnologies – Rafael Yuste, Columbia University
- Brain-Machine Interfaces at the Core of the Human Intranet – UC Berkeley
Perspectives from S/Cs:
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society and Solid-State Circuits Society (Europe), Timothy Constandinou, Imperial College London
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society and Solid State Circuits Society (North America), Roman Genov, University of Toronto
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Yoonsuck Choe, Texas A&M University
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Society, Narisa Chu, CWLab International
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Metin Akay, University of Houston
- IEEE Magnetic Society, Jian-Ping Wang, University of Minnesota
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, Matei Ciocarlie, Columbia University
- IEEE Sensors Council, Michael McShane, Texas A&M University
- IEEE Systems, Man, Cybernetics Society, Michael H. Smith, UC Berkeley
- IEEE Standards Association, Cherry Tom
- Digital Senses Initiative, Yu Yuan, CATE Global